Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Don't Eat the Yellow Snow...

Well, I survived the "blizzard" along with the other 73 people crammed in this Starbucks.
Its nuts in here right now. 
I literally had to make a table out of the window seal while attempting to sit upright and straddle the wall to type efficiently.  No, its not pretty, but I left my decency between 1st and 2nd Avenue when I nearly bit the dust crossing the street.  Never mind the cars, give me a patch of ice and I will quite easily injure myself.

Its been quite the week with smoke detector issues, a neck injury, and inspiring moments with clients.  I'll start with a device that I honestly want to rip from the ceiling in a fit of rage.  I understand that it is meant as a warning, as a helpful item, but in a 450sq ft apartment, it warns of nothing that would not have already exploded.
I've managed to set it off 3 times in the last week while cooking chicken.  Amazingly, at 7am with the alarm blaring, no one showed up to see if everything was ok.  I don't blame them.
I am fully aware that my neighbors hate me at this point, and by the 3rd incident were probably hoping I was playing with matches on purpose.
I wasn't.  Again, chicken.  I blame the chicken.
But in my defense, you get through 2 chicken breasts and the place looks like a smokehouse.  Who cooks just 2 breasts??  I need to get through about 3-4 pounds at a time, and a smoke detector that goes off at the sound of a fart is not helping...


Onto my neck...
Holy geez, talk about a wake up call.  Last week I was on the last rep of my last set of barbell shoulder press, and in a meathead moment of pure GH release, I pressed the weight up and my neck basically screamed at me.
I felt it happen, and the rest of my workout knew this was not going to be something I just slept off.  On a scale from 1-10, the pain was about an 8.5.  And ironically, the position that irritated it the most was standing/walking while trying to just keep my head up. 
Slightly problematic considering my profession.
The rest of the afternoon proved to be difficult while demonstrating exercises for clients, and then the trek home nearly put me in tears.  Ridiculous, I know.
But seriously, the only way I could remotely walk without excruciating pain was to tilt my head to the left and look down. 
I looked like Quasimodo shuffling to the 6 train. 
All I could do when I got home was lay down and apply as much pressure as I could stand to that spot.  Thankfully, it eased up in a few days and I've never been so grateful to nod my head...I nearly ceased verbal responses all together out of pure joy that my neck didn't feel like death anymore.
Slight exaggeration, but you get my point.

Overall though, my workouts are going very well.  Intense and exhausting, but very good.  I definitely have to warm-up and roll more than I used to.  At 31, things do not exactly feel like they did at 21 ;)
A few of the younger male trainers like to remind me of my age on a regular basis.
Its all fun and games until you actually do the math.  It was me against two young 20-somethings that ended with the eldest commenting to the younger:...
"Dude, she was in college when you first discovered your genitals."
There was pretty much nothing to say after that.
It was true.  Boys...

What a solid week with clients.
I had a few ladies make major breakthroughs amidst the sweat and dumbbells.  Perhaps the biggest obstacle for my "newbie" females is understanding the importance and role of struggle in the gym.  Understanding that yes, it is necessary to spark change, and no it is not a reflection of weakness.  Rather, it is an opportunity to foster strength in a moment of determination and belief in oneself.  It sounds quite simple and yet how often when left on our own do we hover in the comforts of the familiar,...the just difficult enough,...or the guaranteed success?!  We do it ALL THE TIME.  We are creatures of habit and often resist change when struggle is involved. 
So to see these ladies actively choosing to trust me in that moment, keep pushing, and ultimately do something they were not sure they could do,....that is food for my soul.
I love it.
They are slowly becoming forces to be reckoned with.  Its amazing.

Well, Starbucks is still packed and my rearend is officially stuck to this seat.  I need to get home and start food prepping for tomorrow.....if you see me on the news you'll know the smoke detector finally got the best of me.  Have a wonderful night folks.
And in honor of my courageous ladies,...you know that very thing you are afraid to do?,....do it.  Tomorrow.  Conquer it.  Go amaze yourself....









No comments:

Post a Comment