Monday, June 20, 2011

Thanks Dad

Dear Lord, its way past my bedtime.
Monday came with a rude awakening after a busy, but great weekend.  Yesterday was Father's Day, and of course I have to give a little shout out to my dad.  I'm allowed to say shout out because I'm from Durham.

My dad is truly amazing.  Perhaps I'm a little bias, but I am extremely grateful for his influence and direction in my life.  He's been a father, coach, mentor, and friend.  In regards to athletics, he's probably had the greatest impact on my perspective of practice, play, and focus.  Partly because he was a coach himself for so many years.  I'll never forget one time in high school...it was the day before a softball game, and I was asking my parents if they were coming.  (There were 3 of us, all involved in sports at different locations during the same season, and the fact was my parents couldn't be in various places at once).  Well, I remember my dad saying he might not be able to make it to the game and I immediately felt disappointed and dropped my head.  This is what he said: "Meredith, you play hard no matter who's watching, and especially when no one is watching."  That still sticks with me to this day.  Many days I train alone in the gym...no accountability but my own...those are the dig-deep moments that my dad was talking about.  Honest moments.  Thanks dad.

Speaking of digging deep, today's workout was harder than expected.  I switched my normal Monday routine around a bit so that I would be doing chest, shoulders, and cardio.  I was drained by the end.  Totally drained.  I've hit a strength-plateau here lately.  The majority of my lifts have been the same weight for the last 3 weeks.  Not cool.

SO, I officially survived the coffee challenge.  One full week with only 1 cup in the morning and none in the afternoon.  There were only a handful of suicidal moments and times when I could have seriously injured someone or myself.  But it was good for me to do.  Just to let me know I don't really NEED everything that I think I do.  And amazingly, I didn't even have my afternoon coffee today!  I know, the world will now implode at any minute.  I was pretty darn proud of myself. 

This week I am giving up TV....well, as much as possible.  I'm on this ridiculous "give up random crap in your life" kick, that, I'm hoping will end shortly before I throw crazy stuff in there like baths, makeup, or being sarcastic.  The world is not ready for any of that.  Period.

Ok, I seriously need to get some sleep.  Long day ahead....night people!

No comments:

Post a Comment